07 January 2009

Hiking in Mallorca

I have understood that hiking is very popular in Mallorca and that there are plenty of excellent hiking trails on the island. It's foremost hiking area stretches along the island's northwestern coast at the mountain range of Sierra Tramontana, where the area between Valldemossa and monastery in Lluc mountain chain in the northern part is the starting point for a lot of different Hiking tracks. I’ve not been walking myself yet, so if you have any tip please let me know!

High season for hiking in Mallorca is during the spring and autumn, but it is possible to go hiking between December and March as well, there are plenty of sunny days in Mallorca also during the winter in Majorca. The summer season may be too hot though, 50 degrees Celsius is not good for anything but staying close to water to be able to cool oneself. Found a Swedish woman who apparently organizes hiking tours in groups, so if you prefer to have some guidance instead of heading out yourself, it might be a good idea to contact her. She, Åsa Johannesson Alomar, came to Mallorca 30 years ago and never went back to sweden, and has during her years here on the Island learned a lot about Majorca and especially where, when and how to hike, check out her webpage for more information. www.personlig-guide-mallorca.com

3 comments:

Travel Blog said...

This is great! Hiking is one of my favorite specially in the mountain that has a difficult trails. Hope to trek some of the great mountain of the place. Thanks for sharing this post.

Anonymous said...

Very true. I have been to Majorca recently, number of young people were there, I being alone never felt lonely out there. I am planning to go again and your information about hiking is great. I will rather plan next time for it.

I stayed in Gran Hotel d'Or Tucan which I found through http://www.majorcainspain.co.uk The hotel was cheap and I flown to Majorca through Easyjet which costed me just £5 for a return. I am very excited after coming back because this trip didn't made a dent on my bank account as well. Recommended destination for everyone. I am planning to go back soon.

Aron@hotels in hawaii said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.